After a separation a child can live either with one parent or with both parents. If the child chiefly lives with one parent then that parent is known as the residential parent. The child then normally has access to the other parent. Children often live for equal periods with both parents, and this is known as alternate residence. If as parents you are in disagreement about a child’s residence you can go to the family court in your municipality to seek their assistance with agreeing on the child’s residence. If you cannot come to an agreement you can take the matter to court for a decision. It is then advisable to get a lawyer to represent you in court.