If you wish to divorce an application for divorce must be submitted to the district court. If you and your spouse are in agreement that you should divorce a joint application can be submitted. Otherwise you can submit an application to the district court on your own. If one of you has children under the age of 16 who live with you or if only one of you wishes to divorce you will be given a period of consideration of between six and twelve months before the court will deliver a judgement of divorce.