All parents are liable to contribute to their child’s maintenance on the basis of their financial ability. If a child lives more with one of the parents than with the other one, then a maintenance allowance is usually payable. A maintenance allowance may also be payable if the child lives alternately with the two of you, if there is a big difference between your incomes and this results in differing standards of living for the child.

In the event of a separation, maintenance may in certain instances be payable to a spouse during a transitional period if there are special reasons. In exceptional instances maintenance for a spouse may also be payable on a lifelong basis.